Hope in Christ
20 Oct 2019
Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father; 4Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.—1 Thessalonians 1:3,4
Central Idea: Paul, Silas, and Timothy when giving thanks to God, always mention without ceasing the Thessalonians patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ that: Strengthens their resolute waiting for Christ’s return and stimulates their vigorous endurance in hardship.
Strengthens Resolute Waiting for Christ’s Return
- And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.—1 Thessalonians 1:10.
- If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied. But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.—1 Cor. 15:19, 20
- For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise.—1 Thess. 4:16
- For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth—Job 19:25
Stimulates Vigorous Endurance in Hardship
- Therefore we ourselves boast about you in the churches of God for your steadfastness and faith in all your persecutions and in the afflictions that you are enduring.—2 Thess. 1:4
- to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life— 2:7
- . . . let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.— 12:1, 2
- For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? 25But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it.— 8:24, 25